
Quicke's Cheddar
Hook's 12-year Aged Cheddar

Whenever my dad’s birthday rolls around I always struggle with what to get him; he’s not exactly the tie and cufflinks type. I usually start by going down the list of things he likes: books, scotch, typography, beef jerky? I had already covered those bases the past four years. Luckily, my mom’s protests instigated the inspiration for his most recent gift. She was cleaning out the fridge, yet again, searching for the source of an abhorrent smell. The source was revealed to be my dad’s secret cheese stash, which he keeps tucked in the corner of the fridge, much to my mom’s chagrin. The perfect opportunity to be subversive and give a good gift!
So I headed down to the Beverly Hills Cheese Store, already knowing I wanted to purchase the awe-inspiring Hook’s twelve year aged cheddar, which is featured on the cheese platter at my favorite restaurant Lou. I had my cheese crib list, which I had compiled while procrastinating from real work, to narrow down the search. I asked for a taste of Quicke’s Cheddar, which is a much lauded English white cheddar. It knocked my socks off! Quicke's Cheddar is crafted by Mrs. Mary Quicke from the milk of 340 cows on her farm in Devon, England. Quicke's Cheddar is made in the traditional style of English farmhouse cheddars - bound in cloth, larded, and left to age for 18 months or more. The result is a spicy, caramely cheese with a hugely complex flavor profile and tight, crystalline texture. It crumbles in your hand but melts on your palette, definitely a winner. Though I must admit, out of the two, Hook’s is my favorite. Produced on a small factory on the corner of Jail Alley and Commerce St. in historic Mineral Point, Hook's Cheese Company has received several awards for its artisan cheeses: 1982 World Champion Colby Cheese, 1999-2002 Grand Champion Cheese for its blue cheese, and 2003 Grand Champion Cheese at the Iowa County Fair for its cheddar cheese. The variety I like is the 12 year aged cheddar, which is tangerine orange in color, with a luscious, smooth texture punctuated with salt crystals, much like a good parmiggiano. With floral notes balancing out the sharpness, I love taking a nub of the cheese and letting it melt in my mouth, covering the entire palette. Needless to say I bought a hunk of Hooks and Quicke’s (among others which my dad eventually stole) for myself.
