The first time I tried Boylan's Birch Beer was at the charming Let's be Frank trailer in Culver City. I was pondering which soda to get: root beer or cream soda? and the woman behind the counter whispered conspiratorially to me, "Have you ever had a birch beer?" Was this code for something more subversive than soda? We were in downtown Culver City after all. All those discount furniture stores can only spell trouble. So I said "Not yet" and handed over the money. She winked and turned to the back of the trailer. What had I gotten myself into? Was she a cop? I nervously hovered around the relish and ketchup waiting for her to return. "Yoo hoo! Your hotdog's ready! I added some homemade bread-and-butter-pickles!" I suspiciously took my hotdog. "Oh! And your birch beer." I heard the "schoooock!" of the lid popping. "It's like root beer but way better."
Ok, nothing sketchy going on at all. Just criminal deliciousness!
Birch Beer is exactly as she described: like root beer but better. It has a more pronounced herbaceous note to it (mint? anise maybe?) and a creme soda nuttiness that's just perfect. I can't wait to try it with a scoop of ice cream. Enjoy!



