You know those bizarrely familiar dreams? Where it’s a different reality, but you have that contented feeling that this was how it was always meant to be? Huckleberry is my eternal recurrence. As I’ve mentioned before, the best breakfast I’ve ever had was two sunny-side-up eggs on a bed of arugula, sautéed chanterelles, on top of crispy polenta at Rustic Canyon. But like all good things, it was fleeting. The Saturday morning breakfasts at Rustic Canyon were put on hold to open a secondary restaurant where the breakfast would be the main focus. Yeah, right. I’ve heard that before. Welcome to my nightmare, where my favorite food is whisked away from me forever, never to return. I’ll call to inquire and get vague responses of “Two more months”, “One more month” and before you know it’s six months later and that restaurant is a Baby Gap.
My night sweats had subsided and as the months dwindled down I forgot about my crispy polenta eggs. Until one day we drove down Wilshire and there it was. Huckleberry. Not yet finished, but still 75% to being an actualized restaurant. My mind burst like a runny yolk at the prospect of having that breakfast. “Yessssssssss,” I whispered to myself, subtly fist-pumping at the red traffic light.
A month later Huckleberry was opened, and I was there, eating. Sadly, there were no crispy polenta eggs (If anyone from Huckleberry is reading this, PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!) but the sunny-side-up eggs over asparagus with toasted bread-crumbs and those amazing cinnamon sugar donuts more than compensate. The drip coffee is delicious and the baked goods are sublime (most notably the blueberry cornmeal coffee cake). There’s usually a fast moving line, and the buddy system is necessary (you stand in line while your buddy sharks out a table) but the food is delicious, inventive, and walks the fine line of diner-derivative and California cuisine innovative. You must check it out. Enjoy!

.jpg)
Drip coffee and donut holes, what better way to kick start the morning at 11 am?
Cinnamon-Sugar, attack!
Blueberry cornmeal coffee cake...as much flavor as there are syllables.

The healthier alternative to my crispy polenta eggs.



My boyfriend and I always argue over who gets the last bite, like those polite gophers from looney tunes. The bite gets halved until there is hardly anything left, like so...

.jpg)
Cinnamon-Sugar, attack!
Blueberry cornmeal coffee cake...as much flavor as there are syllables.
The healthier alternative to my crispy polenta eggs.


My boyfriend and I always argue over who gets the last bite, like those polite gophers from looney tunes. The bite gets halved until there is hardly anything left, like so...
.jpg)
