KITCHY ENDORSEMENTS

blogger templates

Gaviota Strawberries and Blood Orange Chips from the Santa Monica Farmer's Market

My local farmer’s market in Brentwood meets all of my foodie needs: the best produce, lovely flowers, no shoving crowds, and the most amazing hot dogs and pupusas you’ve ever had. But they don’t have Harry’s Berries.

Harry’s Berries, along with Lily’s Eggs, is the stand I endure the dull-eyed crowds that seem to always walk directly in my path (why does simply walking on a sidewalk feel like a game of frogger? But without the motivation of a high score?) and the usually horrendous parking situation at the Santa Monica Farmer’s Market for. They have the best strawberries. Ever. Yesterday I gave two friends, independently, a strawberry to taste, and they both said matter-of-factly, “This is the best strawberry I’ve ever had. And I don’t like strawberries.” I chortle condescendingly, because I too, was once like them, ignorant to the bliss held in that single berry.

The gaviota strawberry is extremely sweet but with just enough bright acidity to balance it out. It struck me that any time I eat something that’s simply sweet (all sugar, no acid, like say…a muffin or a cookie) I get that awful bitter and almost tannic feeling in my mouth, as if my tastebuds are revolting against the onslaught of saccharine. But with strawberries, and fruit in general, there is a palette cleansing effect. It’s sweet but not cloying, and Harry’s Berries exemplify that perfect after-dinner bite. I’m looking forward to the seascape variety, which are less sweet but have a deeper berry flavor. I mix the two types for my jam and the combination is fantastic.





The dried blood oranges were simply a case of “Ooooooh Pretty!” I’ve never had one, but they looked so much like stained glass windows I had to snatch a $3 bag. The entire slice is intensified: the pith is bitterer, but the actual blood orange is rich with flavor. They’re fun to suck on and will fit in perfectly for you kid’s next diorama project. Doesn’t it look like the rose window at Chartres?





Enjoy!








.