KITCHY SUPPLIES

blogger templates
The typical family road trip souvenir is probably a shamu cup from sea world, a photo caught mid scream on a roller coaster, a mini statue of liberty, a hammered penny, or my personal favorite: the instant wax figurine of a zebra from the San Diego Zoo.  I remember putting in my quarter and the smell of the hot wax as it was poured to make my toy.  It was purple, and had the tell tale ridge of something made cheap and fast.  I probably lost it before I made it back to the car, but still, I remember it.  

One year my family had a road trip across the south west.  We saw the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, my little brother Henry, who was four then, saw snow for the first time.  It was on the side of the road, and we pulled over.  Giggling wildly with anticipation, he launched himself hands first into the snow.  We were quiet, watching the miracle of discovery unfold before our eyes. His little face was awash with emotion: glee, confusion, and then...terror.  He burst into tears and started screaming "It's burning! It's burning!"  He apparently thought snow was made of cotton candy, or feathers, or q-tips or something.  The notion of "cold" never entered the picture.  Back in his car seat he looked at his hands ruefully, tight little pink fists of anger. The trip wasn't a total wash though; my mother got a much better souvenir, to bring it back to the point.

We stopped by a steak house for dinner one night, and honestly, being eleven, I don't recall much.  I think it was very Arizona-y, if that helps paint a picture.  Anyway, most places surrounding the Grand Canyon have chotchkis available for purchase, but Rod's Steak House has them beat.  I've never seen such adorable yet useable souvenirs.  These are not the disposable key chains or t-shirts you find littering tourist destinations.  These are well made, well designed plates and cups.  Even now, whenever my mom pulls these out, I fondly remember the time Henry discovered snow and our family trip through the south west.  If you're ever in the area, be sure to drop in and grab some mementos for yourself.














.