The guys at
Caffe Luxxe are always working on something, and no surprise it's more often than not wonderful. This past week I stopped in and caught Adrian working on his newest creation: The Adrian. In my head I call it the "mini-americaniato." It takes a few tries to roll off the tongue, but if you're a glass of wine or two in, I'd stick with "The Adrian." It's simple, strong, delicious, and the perfect hybrid of the espresso drinks I spend time building up the courage to try, and then quickly decide after one sip I'm better served sticking to my sissy non fat caps. Americanos and Macchiatos are strong and robust, but for completely different reasons. The Americano is the Italian interpretation of American coffee, which I'm sure originated from GIs asking for cups of Joe and getting confused shrugs. A shot or two of espresso and some hot water is what they came up with. A macchiato means "to mark" in Italian, where the espresso (or in Luxxe's case, ristretto) is marked with a dollop of steamed milk. The starbucks rendition is milk marked with espresso, which explains a lot. Adrian took the best of both drinks and created a concoction that goes as such:
Ingredients:
1 shot of espresso (or two shots of ristretto)
1 tablespoon hot water
1 dollop of steamed whole milk