Chicken Pot Pie

blogger templates


My friend Kelli brought this to us when I had Henry. Mm mmmm it was good-especially the homemade, flaky crust. I vowed that I would make this. I decided everyone needs a good ol' Chicken Pot Pie recipe.  This is a great one.  It is actually the Betty Crocker recipe straight from the cookbook.

Ingredients for Filling:

1/3 cup butter or margarine

1/3 cup chopped onion

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
2 cups (1 package) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
Directions for Filling:

Rinse frozen veggies to separate.  Drain.  Heat margarine/butter in large saucepan over medium heat until melted.  Stir in flour, onion, salt & pepper.  Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly then briefly remove from heat while you stir in broth & milk.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil & stir for 1 minute.  Stir in chicken & vegetables. 

Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Prepare pastry.

Ingredients for 10" Pastry:

2 cups  all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
4 to 6 tablespoons cold water

Directions for 10" Pastry:

Cut shortening/butter into flour and salt until particles are size of small peas.  Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans sides of bowl (1-2 tsp more water can be added, if needed). 

Gather pastry  and form into 2 balls.  Roll out one ball until it is big enough to cover bottom and sides of pan.  Press firmly against bottom & side.  Then roll out 2nd ball to lay on top.  Pour filling into pie.  Seal up sides of pie by pinching, fork, etc. and trim off excess. 

**Baking Instructions:  Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown. 

For a 9x13 pan, double the above recipe. I usually triple or quadruple it!







.