Onion-Cheese Bread

blogger templates

This is one of the moistest, butteriest breads I've ever had. This my friends is almost Paula Deen's Lady and Son's Onion-Cheese Bread. I changed it very, very slightly many years ago, and I have been making it that way ever since. This recipe is one of my and my mom's favorites. In fact, the other day I mentioned that I might like to make onion-cheese bread early in the day. I forgot about it as the day went on until my sweet mom said, "So....are you gonna make onion-cheese bread?" So, I did.


Step One: Chop up a small onion.
 
You can chop your onions finer than mine. Between lack of cooking patience and dull knives, this looked fine enough to me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step Two: Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, and saute onions...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
...until soft. Set aside.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step Three: Put Bisquick, milk, and egg in a bowl,...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
...and mix together until just moistened.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step Four: Add onions...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
...and 1/2 c. cheddar...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
...and fold them all together.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step Five: Yes, that is a coffee cup. Put butter and garlic salt in a coffee cup (or small bowl), and melt them together in the microwave (about 40 seconds). Stir well!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step Six: Evenly spread the dough into a greased 8" round cake pan.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here's the melted butter and garlic salt. I know I said this before, but I'm going to say it again - Stir it well!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step Seven: Drizzle the garlic salt butter on top...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
...and spread evenly with the back of a spoon.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step Eight: Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step Nine: Top with remaining cheddar,...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
...and bake 5 more minutes.
 
 
 
 
 
Cut into wedges and serve. Yum.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Onion-Cheese Bread
1 1/2 c. Bisquick
3/4 c. diced onion
1 T. canola oil
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
1 c. shredded cheddar
, divided
1/2 t. garlic salt
2 T melted butter
 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, and saute onions in it until soft. Set aside.
 
In a large bowl, mix together Bisquick, milk, and egg until just moistened. Fold in onions and 1/2 c. cheddar. Evenly spread the dough into a greased 8" round cake pan.
 
Mix together melted butter and garlic salt in a small bowl, and drizzle the mixture over the dough. Bake 15 minutes. Top with remaining 1/2 c. cheddar, and bake 5 more minutes.







.