Best Spiced Oatmeal Cookies Ever

blogger templates

Hello, Love. That's right. I have a pet name for these cookies. They are that good. These are not only spiced oatmeal cookies, but these are the Best Spiced Oatmeal Cookies Ever. Ever. They are buttery, homey, and full of an addictive soft spice combination that makes these cookies disappear almost instantaneously. Here is my recipe card, but it is wrong. It does not have enough oats or nuts in it if you make the recipe based on the card. I honestly usually mixed the dough based on the card and then did the old, Southern thing from there - I mixed the rest of the oats and nuts in on feel...on how the dough felt as I added them. Usually, I knew the dough felt right when the spoon could stand straight up in the dough. Fortunately for you, I have the exact measurements for the perfect dough at the bottom.   

  
Step One: Combine brown sugar and butter.
 
Note: If your butter is too soft, your cookies will be a little flatter. My cookies are usually less flat than those shown in these photos, but I let the butter sit out a little longer than I usually do. Don't worry, they still taste awesome, and they are eaten so quickly that no one will notice whether they are flat or puffy.



...Yep, this is what brown sugar and butter mixed together looks like alright.
 
I acutally mix this cookie dough in a blue bowl that I've been using since I was about three years old (notice the 80's blue?) instead of my Kitchenaid mixer. Why? Because I've been using this blue bowl for this recipe for a long, long time. It's just a habit, and I guess Kitchenaid needs a rest every once in a while. I rarely give it a rest. 

Step Two: Add eggs...











...and mix well.











Step Three: Add about half of the flour and all of the nutmeg and cinnamon.
 
Is this a lot of nutmeg and cinnamon? Yes, it is. Is that ok? Oh, it is SO much more than ok. It is the foundation for addiction.







Mix well.











Step Four: Add the rest of the flour... 










...and mix well.










Time out for a tutorial! There are two kinds of oats at the store. There are old-fashioned ones and there are quick cooking ones. Get the old-fashioned ones for these cookies. If you get the quick cooking ones, the cookies end up with a weird texture, and they dry out pretty quickly. Get the old-fashioned ones. I mean it! 





 Step Five: Add oats and pecans...










...and mix well.

Your spoon should be able to stand straight up in the dough. If not, add more oats.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step Six: Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake 10 - 12 minutes at 375 degrees.









I'm not sure why I thought it was necessary to show another picture of the cookie dough balls, but I did. So here it is!












Here they are! Again, they usually aren't this flat. They are usually a little puffier. The only difference is the initial temperature of your butter. That information is not important unless you are OCD.
Oh...









...happy...









...day!

Are they beautiful or what?











These are pretty and absolutely delicious, but they have to be good for you, too. Think about it. Pecans for protein, oatmeal for fiber, and cinnamon metabolizes sugars.  







My mom and I crave these...all the time...every day. We devour them. In fact, although this batch made three dozen cookies, this little plateful is all that is left for pictures. Enjoy the love my friends!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Best Spiced Oatmeal Cookies Ever
Click here for printable version
2 c. White Lily Self-Rising flour
1 c. BUTTER
- the real stuff, softened
2 c. brown sugar
3 c. old-fashioned oats
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground nutmeg
2 eggs
1/2 c. chopped pecans
 
Stir together butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, and mix well. Mix in about half of the flour, the cinnamon, and the nutmeg, and after that is well incorporated, mix in the rest of the flour. Stir in the oats and pecans. Drop by rounded teaspoons about two inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 10 - 12 minutes.







.