Idiyappam / String Hoppers

blogger templates




Idiyappam was one of my favorite breakfast items in the hostel. But I never liked the combo they served it with i.e. the Peas curry. The peas would be all mushy and the whole curry would be thick and pasty. So I always used to opt for sugar.

Once I started making it at home, just like Roshan,  from whose blog I chose to make this recipe, I found that there are different ways and different ratios  of water for each kind of flour. Until today, I had followed the practice of boiling water with salt and oil and adding it little by little to the idiyappam flour, mixing it simultaneously to form a pliable dough and prepared idiyappams out of it. I always use only the store bought rice flour. But this time when I brought home the idiyappam flour packet, I was in for a surprise. The directions for preparing the dough had changed. Following the directions also led to the same soft idiyappams.

I can have it with just fresh scraped coconut and sugar but H requires some side dish so I usually prepare, Vegetable Kurma or Kadala Curry. But today, since I was pressed for time, I simply served it with some coconut coriander chutney and this tasted good too.



Serves 3 to 4

What you’ll need
  1. Idiyappam Flour – 3 cups*
  2. Water – 4 cups
  3. Salt to taste
  4. Oil – 2 tbsp + a little for greasing
  5. Freshly Scraped Coconut – as required (Optional)

Method
  1. Heat a non stick kadai with 4 cups of water.
  2. Once water starts boiling add oil and salt to taste. Mix well.
  3. Now add the idiyappam flour and mix thoroughly with the help of a wooden spatula.
  4. All the flour will come together and form a ball. Remove from flame at this stage.
  5. Let it cool for 5 minutes or till you are able to handle the dough with your hands. But do not let it become cold. Knead well with your hands to form smooth dough. Keep covered.
  6. Divide the dough into equal portions, fill it in the idiyappam press, and squeeze out the dough on to a greased idiyappam plate or idly stand.
  7. Sprinkle freshly scraped coconut. This is optional.
  8. Steam in the pressure cooker for 5 to 7 minutes. Do not place the whistle. Cook as you would for idly.



Note:
* I used the store bought idiyappam flour, Nirapara Brand. I followed the instructions given at the back of the pack for making the dough.

Linking this to Blog Hop Wednesday.
Also linking to Swathi's Event Favorite Recipes - Vegetarian Recipes







.