Black Bean Hummus with Lemon, Garlic and Sesame!

blogger templates
 
It was snack time at my house yesterday and I wanted something healthy, quick and easy! Then I remembered this recipe that I saw on a blog called 'Energize For Life'
Doesn't that sound like a VERY healthy website? Well that's because it is! 
 
I had all the ingredients to make the hummus, so I guess it was meant to be!
 
At first I made the recipe exactly as written, but when I tasted it, I decided to give the recipe a few tweaks to suit my taste. I had to start over because the hummus was way to herbaceous for me. I cut the amount of basil down to about 4 leaves and I doubled the amount of sesame seeds. And the hummus was too dry so I doubled the lemon juice and added a drizzle of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of sour cream. I also added a large pinch of kosher salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
 
With all my adjustments it turned out just how I wanted! The black beans gave the hummus a deep, rich bean flavor!But this hummus also had a nice fresh taste from the lemon with a slight kick from the cayenne and a hint of sesame, garlic and basil! All the flavors I love in a hummus!
But to make it easier I'm posting the original recipe below with my changes in red.
 
Ingredients
1 can black beans (200g), rinsed and drained - I used a 15oz. can
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (or more to taste) - I used 4 tsp.
1 small handful of basil leaves - I used only 4 leaves
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 large pinch of sesame seeds - I used toasted sesame seeds and doubled the amount
Optional: red chilli to taste - I just used a pinch of cayenne pepper
1 Tbls. olive oil
2 Tbls. fat free sour cream
 
Instructions
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.







.