Khaman Dhokla

blogger templates




I am happy to post the recipe of the instant version of Dhokla here on my space. This is one of the most popular snack items in my house and I prepare it very often. But unfortunately, I have never been able to click pictures. These super soft and delicious steamed chickpea flour cakes just vanish as soon as they are out from the cooker. 

Yesterday, I was determined to somehow take pictures, I know the pictures are not very good but I did not want to hold one of my favorite recipe any more. And so here I am with the post.

I was introduced to this dish from certain North Indian Sweet Shops, which sold Chaats as well as these Dhoklas. But somehow I never relished those as they are always soaked in an overdose of sugar syrup. Then I was recommended to try out the instant Khaman Dhokla mix. Those turned out to be really delicious. And finally, I got this recipe again from my aunt and have been making it for some years now.

Now I am very confused about the name. On googling about dhokla, I came to know that Dhokla refers to the fermented rice version and Khaman refers to the instant version. This is the instant version which uses chickpea flour so I guess it is Khaman. Anyway, what's there in a name, here is the recipe:



What you’ll need
  1. Chickpea flour/Besan – 1 Cup
  2. Curd – ½ cup
  3. Water – ¼ cup
  4. Green Chilly – 1 or 2
  5. Ginger – 1 inch piece
  6. Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
  7. Oil – ½ tbsp
  8. Sugar – 1 tsp
  9. Turmeric Powder – a pinch
  10. Eno – 1 packet (5 gm)
  11. Salt to taste

For tempering
  1. Oil – 2 tsp
  2. Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
  3. Green chilly – 1 Slit
  4. Asafoetida – a pinch
  5. Fresh Coriander Leaves for garnish

Method
  1. Grind green chilly and ginger.
  2. In a bowl, add the chickpea flour, turmeric powder, salt, sugar, green chilly, ginger paste, oil, mix well.
  3. Now add the curd and water and mix well.
  4. Heat the cooker with water for steaming. Grease a  flat cooker vessel.
  5. Add the eno fruit salt to the chickpea flour mixture mix well and pour immediately into the greased cooker vessel.
  6. Steam for 7 to 8 minutes,
  7. Remove and allow to cool.
  8. Heat a small frying pan with oil. Add mustard seeds, once they crackle add asafoetida powder and the slit green chilly.
  9. Pour this over the steamed dhokla, garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
  10. Cut into desired shapes and serve with green chutney.









.