Paruppu Podi/Spiced Lentil Powder

blogger templates



I am not a huge fan of podis and that is evident from the fact that I have posted only one podi, Thengai Podi, so far.  So I never bothered to prepare or stock it at home. But my mom and grandmother always have stock of these handy powders. On one of my visits to my mom’s place, my daughter had her rice with this powder and she loved it and had it on all the days we were there. My mother even packed some for her.

Now, after the stock got over, my daughter started asking for it and I called up my grandmother to find out her proportions. Prepared it and now, there’s always stock of this powder at home, for my daughter. Just yesterday, I made a fresh batch of it and thought of posting it here.

This podi is very versatile and the proportions can be changed a little here and there. Actually, the proportions vary from home to home, I guess. Many make it using only tuar dal. But I like to make it my grandmother’s way, by adding horsegram, that gives a unique flavour and makes it healthier too. These kinds of powders come in very handy when you are pressed for time or are just lazy to cook up an elaborate meal. Serve it with hot white rice and a dollop of ghee or sesame oil with some papads and you are good to go :)

What you'll need
  1. Tuar Dal – ¼ cup
  2. Moong Dal/Pasi Paruppu- ¼ cup
  3. Horsegram/Kollu – ¼ cup
  4. Dried Red Chilly – 2
  5. Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
  6. Salt to taste

Method
  1. Heat a Kadai.
  2. Dry roast the dals one by one until nice aroma emanates and the dals have changed red. Take care not to burn.
  3. Dry roast the red chilly too.
  4. Cool. Transfer the dals into a mixer jar, add salt to taste and powder.
  5. Add the asafoetida powder and mix well.
  6. Transfer into clean container and keep it airtight.


Notes:
  1. While roasting the dals, do not do at a high flame. Roasting in high flame will result in quick outer browning of dal but inside will not be roasted. You will not get the proper taste.
  2. I have made it very mild, since it is mainly for my kids. Increase the spice level to suit your tolerance level.
  3. This powder is slightly coarse, if powdered really fine, it will stick to the insides of your mouth while eating.
  4. Always use a clean dry spoon to spoon out the powder.









.