Ellu Podi

blogger templates



I had been to my grandmother's place last weekend and enjoyed my stay there. It was a complete break from cooking and other household chores. I got totally pampered by my dearest grandmother, uncles and aunts. More than me, my children loved their stay. On the way back home, yesterday, my little one tugged at my dress and said, "amma, ennakku, D Chitti, yosanaiaave irruku", (She was supposed to say "nyabagam") and started crying. She wanted to go back. I pacified her somehow, showing this and that and finally, agreeing to take her back, this weekend.



I had a bagful of goodies, especially made for me by my granny. She had given a batch of paruppu podi, and this delicious tasting ellu podi. I was standing next to while she made it and noted down only the ingredients. Came back home and clicked the pictures. She was so nostalgic, while preparing the powder. She remembered my father, who used to love this.

This podi is not the regular ellu podi, that is used for making rice. This one is sweet and spicy and goes best as a side dish for dosas and adais. Try it once, and I'm sure you are going to keep making batches of it again and again.



What you’ll need
  1. White Sesame Seeds/Ellu/Til – 1.5 cup
  2. Dried Red Chilly – 5 to 6
  3. Powdered Jaggery – ¼ cup
  4. Salt to taste


Method
  1. Heat a heavy bottomed Kadai.
  2. Add the sesame seeds and dry roast until nice and brown or until the seeds start popping.
  3. Dry roast the red chillies too.
  4. Cool.
  5. Now add the sesame seeds, red chillies and give a pulse in the mixer
  6. Now add salt to taste and the powdered jaggery and pulse again, so that the salt and jaggery are mixed well with the sesame seeds powder.

Store in clean and dry containers. 
Tastes best with dosai, adai etc.



Note:
  1. Do not grind for too long, then it will become lumpy oily and not remain in powder form.
  2. This podi is sweet and hot. Adjust the spice level according to your tolerance level.








.