That really started me thinking. What's their individual use huh? There are really many different types of flour. Different cuisine uses different flour. I read in a magazine, Italian uses Semolina Flour to make pasta.
Here are the flour I know and how I use them.
- All-Purpose Flour/Plain Flour - used to make noodle, waffles, pancake, crepe, batter for frying. Can add a bit of baking powder to become self-raising flour.
- Glutinous Rice Flour - used to make ma chee, ang ku kueh, mochi. A bit chewy and elastic. (I have not tried this yet)
- Tapioca Flour - used to thicken sauce and soup. Used in Chinese confection, Kueh Bangkit.
- Rice Flour - use to make chwee kueh, chwee jiong fang, kway teow. I use this to dust my food before frying to give the it a thin and crunchy outer layer.
- Potato Flour - use to thicken sauce and soup.
- Corn Flour - use to thicken sauce and soup. Some uses this as a batter for frying too.
All the flour listed here, except of Glutinous Rice Flour (I'm not too sure), are used in baking too!
The essential flour in my wokking are All-Purpose Flour, Rice Flour and Corn Flour. I use a lot of these 3 flour.
The other flour I have in my kitchen store is Top Flour. I use that to make muffins (using a muffin maker) and no bake cookies (using frying pan). I think it great for cakes too (I won't know because I don't bake. Hahaha)
Then there are Cake Flour, Pastry Flour, Bread Flour, Self Raising Flour, etc. All these are flour used in Baking. Probably, Angeleyes will know better lah.
Hope this information is useful.
