Old-Fashioned Meat Loaf

blogger templates

I honestly love meatloaf. Weird? Probably ... but who can resist the moist hamburger meat that is enhanced by so many other flavors. Normally, my husband makes the meatloaf and just wings it. Yesterday, I decide to try out a meatloaf recipe to see what he would think. Who do I turn to? Paula Deen of course!

Let's just say that he  couldn't eat just one bite! He LOVED it! This will now be my "go to" meatloaf recipe. If you can mix ingredients, you can make this recipe!

I did mine in heart shapes for Valentine's Day and then topped them with mashed potatoes to achieve a "cupcake" affect. If I would have done rounds, it would have looked more like a cupcake but this was still great.

Ingredients for the Loaf
1 pound ground beef
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup bell pepper, chopped (I used half red and half green)
1 egg, lightly beaten
8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats

Ingredients for the Topping
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients for the loaf together. Place on a baking dish and shape into a loaf.
2. Mix ingredients for the topping and spread over the loaf. Bake for 1 hour.







.