

If there was a cookie of my childhood, this would be it. They were such a prolific staple of my schoolyard days that they made it into the Franklin Elementary Cook Book, somewhere between Carol Beitcher's fabulous Mandel Broit and another mother’s Choco Peanut Butter Dreams. I remember devouring the warm sticky dough by the handful and the incredulous looks on my classmates’ faces when I offered them these foreign biscuits. They’re not the most attractive cookies for kids--no shapes or chunks of chocolate—but once they get past the exteriors, these cookies make for a perfect recess snack.
Originating from the World War I Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, Anzac Biscuits became popular for their durability due to the lack of eggs and milk (sort of an Aussie version of Lembas Bread); the basis of the recipe are rolled oats and other ingredients that do not spoil easily. But it's not like that really matters, as within a day of baking them they're entirely devoured. Enjoy!
Ingredients:
4 oz butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
2 tablespoon Boiling water
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup rolled oats
¾ cup shredded coconut
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
Directions:
Preheat 300.
Mix dry ingredients well. Melt butter and golden syrup over low heat; add mixed boiling water and baking soda. Pour into mixed dry ingredients, blend well. Drop spoonfuls of mixture onto greased tray (I use a silicon mat). Bake for 20 minutes or until a deep caramel color.
